Strawberry season is upon us, giving me a valid excuse to stuff my face full of fruit.
Today, I was picking with a plan: Sweet Summertime Strawberry Streusel.
2 ½ Cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 ¼ sticks unsalted butter, cut into 18 pieces and softened
½ cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
½ cup of oats
¼ cup light brown sugar
¾ cup of strawberry jam
¾ cup fresh strawberries
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and grease the foil.
- Whisk the flour, granulated sugar, and salt together in a large bowl. Beat in 16 tablespoons of unsalted butter with an electric mixer until the mixture resembles wet sand. Reserve 1 ¼ cups of the mixture for the topping.
3. Sprinkle the remaining mixture into pan and press into an even layer. Bake the crust until the edges begin to brown, approximately 15 minutes.
4. Mix the reserved flour mixture, oats, toasted pecans, and brown sugar together in a medium bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Pinch the mixture between your fingers, creating small clumps of the mixture.
5. In a small bowl, mash the strawberries, jam, and lemon juice together. Spread the mixture evenly over the hot crust, and then sprinkle with streusel topping clumps.
6. Bake the topping is a deep golden brown, approximately 25 minutes.